Thursday, July 31, 2008

Oh for the love of gardening!

I've found my new favorite hobby...Gardening! I love it! Naively, I always thought that gardening was just some thing old people did in order to pass the time, similar to making dollies, crossword puzzles, and the like. However, like most things in life I was once again proven wrong. But please shhhhh! Don't tell all the hip kids I like to spend my weekends talking to my plants!





(Disclaimer: If you've never gardened before you will probably think I am a little crazy for the rest of this blog)





Gardening has quickly become one of my favorite things to do once home from work. I'm very attached to my garden. I even have names for some of my plants! My largest tomato plant is affectionately known as Horatio. I'm so protective of my garden that I rarely even let Tommy water it. I told him it's because nobody can take care of "my babies" like I can. Plus, I don't want to blame him if something horrible happens to the plants. With good reason, Tommy is now afraid of how I will act when we have children!


I love many things about gardening. I love eating my own organically grown produce. The produce is fresh and chemical free! Also, I find gardening to be a very relaxing hobby. In addition, I get to be outside in the sun, which if you know me at all is one of my favorite things ever! There are many more elements about gardening that I enjoy, but perhaps the most enjoyable aspects is how it enlightens me spiritually. Now don't worry, I'm not getting all New Age! Seriously! By cultivating and managing my own plants, I have come to more fully appreciate the many parallels and allegories about gardening that are in the Bible. I somehow feel that I understand God's role more as a gardener. How intensely He cares for each plant(person) and longs to see it grow. He waters each one precisely. He even grieves when their growth is stunted or damaged. And He nurses them back to health. It is such a beautiful picture of how our lives can spring from the tiniest particle into a fruitful plant with God. And God desires to help us continue to grow by tenderly caring for us and supplying us with the right nutrients. Sometimes it is even in our best interest if we are pruned.

I could go on and on about the beauty of gardening, but please try it for yourself and let God remind you of how he makes all things grow. Even the smallest speck can become a fruitful plant, whom He personally cares for and nurtures.

1 comment:

Melissa said...

Here I thought I had a crazy neighbor, but no, you're not crazy. You just talk to plants. ;)

The cucumber was delicious!! THANKS!