I have a new favorite speaker. His name is Mark Driscoll and he leads Mars Hill Church in Seattle, WA . I just recently finished his series on Ruth. Amazing!! I can't tell you how many times I found myself convicted and just wanting to fall on the floor and repent in front of God. I don't want to give away everything, but seriously it is amazing. You can listen to it yourself if you go to www.marshillchurch.org, click on more video content, and then scroll down to find the series on Ruth.
He ends the whole series showing how religion and redemption oppose each other. I was totally convicted to find how easily I fall into religion. I feel guilty when I don't obey God or when I skip a day reading my bible. I look down on others for their sins, when I myself have just done the very same thing. Mark would say to me that I am the worst type of sinner, I am religious. Religion only leads to self-righteousness and pride or guilt and depression (which is also prideful). Religion replaces the beauty of grace! In fact, it leaves no room at all for grace or redemption. Somehow I think that my religion will make me less offensive to God, but the truth is that I am just being an unrepentant sinner. Religion is focused on what we do or don't do, while Redemption is only focused on what Jesus has done. Martin Luther said that religion is the default mode of the human heart and we have to constantly fight against it.
By now if you're reading my blog, I'm sure you're think, "Wow, this girl is pretty messed up." And the truth is, I am! So keep praying for me, that God would continue to work on a very stubborn and prideful heart like mine! That I would have joy in him alone, that he is my redemption and that I would have no faith in religion.
Friday, June 20, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


2 comments:
Thanks for the insight!
Good riddance to "religion"! Keep on persevering, because the Lord has great things in store for you and Tommy!
Post a Comment