I had the opportunity to hang out with two very smart friends this past Friday night. I am always gaining insight from these two ladies. We talked about the overuse of handsanitizer and antibiotics. At one point my friend Crystal said, "That's why I'm a proponent of eating food I drop on the floor." I thought that her declaration did a great job of capturing the conversation.
We talked about the overuse of antibiotics for animals, which in turn we humans readily consume these animals. This eventually leads to resistant bacteria. This is also true for humans. If you are like me, the first thing the doctor prescribes when you are sick is an antibiotic. Also, although it might take a while to occur, using hand sanitizer frequently can eventually lead to stronger resistant bacteria. All these examples work to selectively breed even more harmful and dangerously strong bacteria. So maybe the next time you drop some food on the floor and are frightened by the aspect of germs, you should think twice about just throwing it in the trash. Perhaps our bodies could use a good dose of healthy bacteria.
Below are some links on the topics discussed in this post:
http://www.ucsusa.org/food_and_environment/antibiotics_and_food/
http://www.keepantibioticsworking.com/pages/basics/overuse.cfm
http://www.drgreene.com/21_646.html
Monday, June 23, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment